PCR Test Center Launches at Kansai International Airport, Enabling 3-Hour Issuance of Negative Result Certificates -- Kindai University
Kindai University Kansai International Airport Clinic and Kawasaki will launch a PCR test center at Kansai International Airport on September 22, 2021.
Developed a novel, “Soft Rubber Bolus” for radiation therapy - Easily shapable by hand, leading to high-precision irradiation and more adapted treatment -- Kindai University
- Enables shape adjustment on site during treatment which was impossible with conventional tools - Achieves close fitting on uneven parts by shaping easily with heating. Allows for more personalized radiation therapy - Can be disinfected and reused, and easily utilized at multiple medical institutions
Site-specific O-GlcNAcylation of Psme3 maintains mouse stem cell pluripotency by impairing P-body homeostasis -- Soka University
- Proteasome activator subunit 3 (Psme3) carries O-GlcNAc on Ser111 in mouse embryonic stem cells (mESCs). - O-GlcNAc on Ser111 of Psme3 regulates processing bodies (P-bodies) homeostasis via DEAD box polypeptide 6 (Ddx6) degradation. - Loss of O-GlcNAc on Ser111 of Psme3 primes mESCs for differentiation.
World’s First! Predicting the effectiveness of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor. Expected to establish a personalized medical therapy for liver cancer -- Kindai University
- Predicted effectiveness of immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) using a scoring system related to anti-cancer immune conditions
World’s First! Identified Begomovirus Resistance Gene in Pepper. Possible solution for global problems: Reduction of damage by plant viruses -- Kindai University
- Identified begomovirus resistance gene in pepper for the first time in the world - Developing a DNA marker reliably determines begomovirus resistance, to enable breeding of a virus-resistant cultivar
World’s First! Verified the Efficacy and Safety of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor “Opdivo” in Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma Patients with Poor Liver Function -- Kindai University
Verified the efficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitor (Opdivo) in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (aHCC) and mild to moderate impairment of liver function (Child-Pugh B class). Kindai University School of Medicine led the international collaborative research for aHCC patients with liver dysfunction for which no treatment options were available before.
Developed a new way to generate “Circularly Polarized Luminescence” required for 3D projection Likely to lower manufacturing cost of organic EL panels for 3D display -- Kindai University
Under external magnetic field, circularly polarized luminescence (CPL) was successfully generated from achiral platinum complexes at room temperature. Expected to reduce manufacturing costs of organic EL panels for 3D display, and practical applications for advanced next-generation security/authentication technologies.
Developed a highly sensitive measurement system for diagnosis of high-risk prostate cancer. Enabling highly effective and rapid detection of cancer while reducing the burden on patients -- Kindai University
- Measures serum core-type fucosylated PSA, which was not possible in the past, with high speed and high sensitivity - Verified that fucosylated PSA index significantly rises in a man with high-risk prostate cancer - Adjunct in the conventional PSA test, high-risk prostate cancer can be effectively detected
Elucidation of the role of "Stress Granules" that can be therapeutic targets for cancer and ALS -- Kindai University
- Discovered for the first time in the world that Stress Granules (SGs) have the role of a "safety brake" that regulates signaling pathways that control cell proliferation, such as Protein Kinase C (PKC) and Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase (MAPK). - SGs have the function of preventing excessive activation of MAPK by incorporating PKC.
Is diet breadth the key factor for successful alien ant invasions in new habitats? Discovering from “intraspecific differences” in the Argentine ants - Kindai University
- Investigated intraspecific differences in Argentine ant, “one of the 100 most hazardous invasive species in the world”, to clarify what factors are related to the successful invasion. - Discovered that “LH1” ants, which make up the majority of supercolonies distributed throughout the world, have greater diet breadth than those of the less successful supercolonies.
Mechanism of the selective induction of cancer cell-specific cell death by ACA-28 - Kindai University
- Elucidation of the mechanism of the compound "ACA-28" that selectively induces cell death in cancer cells - ACA-28 induces cell death of cancer cells and inhibits the growth by destroying tumor suppressor factors. - Expectations for the development of anticancer drugs with less side effects that target brakes instead of accelerators for cancer cells
Efficacy of Esophageal Cancer Postoperative Adjuvant Treatment, Peptide Vaccine Treatment, Elucidated 5-year Survival Rate Approx. Doubled for Esophageal Cancer Patients - Kindai University
Kindai University’s Faculty of Medicine has, in a world first, shown the efficacy of cancer-specific vaccine therapy as a postoperative adjuvant therapy in a phase 2 clinical trial. Administration of cancer-specific vaccine therapy roughly doubled the 5-year survival rate of advanced esophageal cancer patients. Vaccine therapy amplifying CTL2 is expected to help validate peptide vaccine therapy.