Novel research on bacteria and fungi on face masks promotes the hygienic use of masks under the COVID-19 pandemic -- Kindai University
- The first research focused on the usage of masks and bacteria and fungi attached to the face-side and the outer-side of masks -Recommended avoiding repeated use of masks (no more than one day) for people with weak immunity since potentially harmful microbes were found -This study will provide new insights into the appropriate and hygienic use of face masks under the COVID-19 pandemic.
Contributing to lightning disaster prevention in Malaysia -- Selected for the FY2022 Science and Technology Research Partnership for Sustainable Development (SATREPS) Program
Our joint research on lightning disaster prevention has been selected for SATREPS Promoting this research in collaboration with ODA. Real-time 3D imaging of charge distribution in thunderclouds and forecasting of lightning activity based on the observation technology cultivated over the years, it aims to prevent and mitigate disaster in Malaysia where the annual lightning day exceeds 200 days.
Discovered “GT-7” compound induces cell death in pancreatic cancer cells - Expected for a new treatment approach different from the mechanisms of conventional anticancer drugs
Found that GT-7 induces apoptosis of pancreatic cancer cells with specific gene mutations.
Curcumin prodrug CMG has beneficial effects on a mouse model of multiple sclerosis by modulating the gut flora -- Kindai University
CMG treatment for a mouse model of multiple sclerosis (MS) suppressed motor paralysis clinically and inflammation in the central nervous system (CNS) microscopically. CMG treatment altered the gut flora in the intestine and feces. Increases in several bacterial species correlated with the disease severity.
Functional bag “Peg” created through industry-academia cooperation to be launched in New York. Contributes to the recovery and promote SDGs with shark leather from Kesennuma, Miyagi, Japan
- Kindai University students and a leather brand "Atelier Shark" jointly developed a small functional bag that is useful in outdoor environments and in the event of disaster. The bags will be released in New York. - Lightweight blue shark leather from Kesennuma City, Miyagi, has excellent drip-proof and durability. Disseminating the benefits of the shark leather supports the reconstruction and ind
World-first research: bringing more insights into biodiversity -- A new technique to analyze genomic functions of wild and extinct animals -- Kindai University
Developed a new method that induces the reprogramming of the mammalian genome, including wild/endangered species, and induces the activation of genes that are specifically expressed in early embryos. The result brings insights into biodiversity, allowing analysis of genomic functions of extinct animals.
Next-generation prebiotic promotes selective growth of beneficial bacteria -- Paving the way for new treatments for refractory clostridioides difficile colitis -- Kindai University
Discovered that Galactosyl-β1, 4-L-Rhamnose (oligosaccharide) selectively promotes the growth of health-promoting bacteria. Identified the gene required for the growth promotion specific to bifidobacteria, utilizing oligosaccharide.
PCR Test Center Launches at Kansai International Airport, Enabling 3-Hour Issuance of Negative Result Certificates -- Kindai University
Kindai University Kansai International Airport Clinic and Kawasaki will launch a PCR test center at Kansai International Airport on September 22, 2021.
Developed a novel, “Soft Rubber Bolus” for radiation therapy - Easily shapable by hand, leading to high-precision irradiation and more adapted treatment -- Kindai University
- Enables shape adjustment on site during treatment which was impossible with conventional tools - Achieves close fitting on uneven parts by shaping easily with heating. Allows for more personalized radiation therapy - Can be disinfected and reused, and easily utilized at multiple medical institutions
World’s First! Predicting the effectiveness of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor. Expected to establish a personalized medical therapy for liver cancer -- Kindai University
- Predicted effectiveness of immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) using a scoring system related to anti-cancer immune conditions
World’s First! Identified Begomovirus Resistance Gene in Pepper. Possible solution for global problems: Reduction of damage by plant viruses -- Kindai University
- Identified begomovirus resistance gene in pepper for the first time in the world - Developing a DNA marker reliably determines begomovirus resistance, to enable breeding of a virus-resistant cultivar
World’s First! Verified the Efficacy and Safety of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor “Opdivo” in Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma Patients with Poor Liver Function -- Kindai University
Verified the efficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitor (Opdivo) in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (aHCC) and mild to moderate impairment of liver function (Child-Pugh B class). Kindai University School of Medicine led the international collaborative research for aHCC patients with liver dysfunction for which no treatment options were available before.