Tags: kindai university
Curcumin prodrug CMG has beneficial effects on a mouse model of multiple sclerosis by modulating the gut flora -- Kindai University
CMG treatment for a mouse model of multiple sclerosis (MS) suppressed motor paralysis clinically and inflammation in the central nervous system (CNS) microscopically. CMG treatment altered the gut flora in the intestine and feces. Increases in several bacterial species correlated with the disease severity.
Functional bag “Peg” created through industry-academia cooperation to be launched in New York. Contributes to the recovery and promote SDGs with shark leather from Kesennuma, Miyagi, Japan
- Kindai University students and a leather brand "Atelier Shark" jointly developed a small functional bag that is useful in outdoor environments and in the event of disaster. The bags will be released in New York. - Lightweight blue shark leather from Kesennuma City, Miyagi, has excellent drip-proof and durability. Disseminating the benefits of the shark leather supports the reconstruction and ind
World-first research: bringing more insights into biodiversity -- A new technique to analyze genomic functions of wild and extinct animals -- Kindai University
Developed a new method that induces the reprogramming of the mammalian genome, including wild/endangered species, and induces the activation of genes that are specifically expressed in early embryos. The result brings insights into biodiversity, allowing analysis of genomic functions of extinct animals.
Next-generation prebiotic promotes selective growth of beneficial bacteria -- Paving the way for new treatments for refractory clostridioides difficile colitis -- Kindai University
Discovered that Galactosyl-β1, 4-L-Rhamnose (oligosaccharide) selectively promotes the growth of health-promoting bacteria. Identified the gene required for the growth promotion specific to bifidobacteria, utilizing oligosaccharide.
PCR Test Center Launches at Kansai International Airport, Enabling 3-Hour Issuance of Negative Result Certificates -- Kindai University
Kindai University Kansai International Airport Clinic and Kawasaki will launch a PCR test center at Kansai International Airport on September 22, 2021.
Developed a novel, “Soft Rubber Bolus” for radiation therapy - Easily shapable by hand, leading to high-precision irradiation and more adapted treatment -- Kindai University
- Enables shape adjustment on site during treatment which was impossible with conventional tools - Achieves close fitting on uneven parts by shaping easily with heating. Allows for more personalized radiation therapy - Can be disinfected and reused, and easily utilized at multiple medical institutions
World’s First! Predicting the effectiveness of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor. Expected to establish a personalized medical therapy for liver cancer -- Kindai University
- Predicted effectiveness of immune checkpoint inhibitors (ICIs) using a scoring system related to anti-cancer immune conditions
World’s First! Identified Begomovirus Resistance Gene in Pepper. Possible solution for global problems: Reduction of damage by plant viruses -- Kindai University
- Identified begomovirus resistance gene in pepper for the first time in the world - Developing a DNA marker reliably determines begomovirus resistance, to enable breeding of a virus-resistant cultivar
World’s First! Verified the Efficacy and Safety of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor “Opdivo” in Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma Patients with Poor Liver Function -- Kindai University
Verified the efficacy of immune checkpoint inhibitor (Opdivo) in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (aHCC) and mild to moderate impairment of liver function (Child-Pugh B class). Kindai University School of Medicine led the international collaborative research for aHCC patients with liver dysfunction for which no treatment options were available before.
Developed a new way to generate “Circularly Polarized Luminescence” required for 3D projection Likely to lower manufacturing cost of organic EL panels for 3D display -- Kindai University
Under external magnetic field, circularly polarized luminescence (CPL) was successfully generated from achiral platinum complexes at room temperature. Expected to reduce manufacturing costs of organic EL panels for 3D display, and practical applications for advanced next-generation security/authentication technologies.
Developed a highly sensitive measurement system for diagnosis of high-risk prostate cancer. Enabling highly effective and rapid detection of cancer while reducing the burden on patients -- Kindai University
- Measures serum core-type fucosylated PSA, which was not possible in the past, with high speed and high sensitivity - Verified that fucosylated PSA index significantly rises in a man with high-risk prostate cancer - Adjunct in the conventional PSA test, high-risk prostate cancer can be effectively detected
Elucidation of the role of "Stress Granules" that can be therapeutic targets for cancer and ALS -- Kindai University
- Discovered for the first time in the world that Stress Granules (SGs) have the role of a "safety brake" that regulates signaling pathways that control cell proliferation, such as Protein Kinase C (PKC) and Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase (MAPK). - SGs have the function of preventing excessive activation of MAPK by incorporating PKC.
Mechanism of the selective induction of cancer cell-specific cell death by ACA-28 - Kindai University
- Elucidation of the mechanism of the compound "ACA-28" that selectively induces cell death in cancer cells - ACA-28 induces cell death of cancer cells and inhibits the growth by destroying tumor suppressor factors. - Expectations for the development of anticancer drugs with less side effects that target brakes instead of accelerators for cancer cells
Efficacy of Esophageal Cancer Postoperative Adjuvant Treatment, Peptide Vaccine Treatment, Elucidated 5-year Survival Rate Approx. Doubled for Esophageal Cancer Patients - Kindai University
Kindai University’s Faculty of Medicine has, in a world first, shown the efficacy of cancer-specific vaccine therapy as a postoperative adjuvant therapy in a phase 2 clinical trial. Administration of cancer-specific vaccine therapy roughly doubled the 5-year survival rate of advanced esophageal cancer patients. Vaccine therapy amplifying CTL2 is expected to help validate peptide vaccine therapy.
Discovery of Novel Nuclear Structure Inside Fertilized Eggs - Research Results Bring Us Closer to Solving the Riddle of the Development of Animals -- Kindai University
This research is expected to contribute to the development of reproductive medicine, including human infertility treatment, and animal breeding technology through practical application of the special characteristics of fertilized eggs that were discovered.
Slack for higher education: Kindai to Become First Japanese University to Invigorate University-wide Communications and Smoothen the Delivery of Online Classes - Kindai University
- Introduction of Slack aims to build a new communication platform for staff and students institution wide - Utilization of Slack enhances the effectiveness of distance learning solutions - Expansion of student support through user-friendly Slack
Efficacy of Opdivo (Nivolumab) in Cancer of Unknown Primary Cases Confirmed - Kindai University
- Efficacy of molecular target drug Nivolumab verified in investigator-initiated clinical trial for use with CUP by hospital team from Kindai University’s Faculty of Medicine - Reductions by more than half in tumor size in over 20% of CUP patients observed - Nivolumab expected to become standard treatment for CUP cases with no standard treatment
ALMA Resolves Gas Impacted by Young Jets from Supermassive Black Hole - Kindai University
Astronomers obtained the first resolved image of disturbed gaseous clouds in a galaxy 11 billion light years away by using ALMA. The team found that the disruption is caused by young powerful jets ejected from a supermassive black hole residing at the center of the host galaxy. This result will cast light on the mystery of the evolutionary process of galaxies in the early Universe.
Preclinical Stage Verification for Combined Use of a Drug Under Development with an Existing Drug to Stimulate the Immune System to Attack Cancer Cells - Kindai University
The research team from Kindai University's Faculty of Medicine, in cooperation with DAIICHI SANKYO COMPANY, LIMITED, have verified at the preclinical stage that using the currently under-development anti-cancer drug, U3-1402*1, in combination with immune checkpoint inhibitors*2 has the potential to be an effective treatment.
Kindai University Students Work on Market Development of “Gokiburi Hoi Hoi” (Cockroach Catcher) in Vietnam.
Kindai University and Teikyo University have cooperated on an overseas internship program in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam. Students worked on developing new markets for "Gokiburi Hoi Hoi" (Earth Cooperation) through a problem solving project-based learning program. After returning to Japan, the students will give a presentation of their marketing strategies to the CEO of Earth Cooperation.